Thought for March 18

History:

  • 1612: Bartholomew Legate is last person burned to death in England for religious views
  • 1791: Robert Burns publishes "Tam O' Shanter
  • 1850: Henry Wells and William Fargo form American Express
  • 1881: Barnum and Bailey's Greatest Show on Earth opens at Madison Square Garden--company closes in 2017
  • 1892: Lord Stanley presents a silver cup for the hockey championship
  • 1922: Gandhi sentenced to 6 years in prison
  • 1931: First electric shavers go on sale--Schick
  • 1952: Roosevelt creates War Relocation Authority--Japanese internment
  • 1952: First plastic lens for cataract patients
  • 1953: Boston Braves move to Milwaukee approved
  • 1965: Poppin Fresh Pillsbury Dough Boy introduced
  • 1965: Alexey Leonov is first person to walk in sppace
  • 2005: Terry Schiavo's feeding tube removed
  • 2018: First fatal accident involving a self-driving car
  • 2020: Covid closes US-Canadian border to all non-essential travel
  • Born: John C Calhoun, Grover Cleveland, Rudolph Diesel, Cluny McPherson [invented gas mask], Fred Shuttlesworth [civil rights activist], Peter Graves ["Mission Impossible"], George Plimpton, John Updike, Charley Pride, Wilson Pickett, Ben Coen [Ben & Jerry's], Vanessa Williams, Bonnie Blair, Queen Latifah, Brian Griese, 
  • Died: Johnny Appleseed [John Chapman], Charles Edward Fuller [Fuller Seminary], Catherine Marshall ["A Man Called Peter"], Natasha Richardson, Fess Parker, Chuck Berry
Thought:
I have underlined the first several verses of Matthew 23. Jesus is talking about the Pharisees and pride. They seek the best seats [23:1], they wear their righteousness on their sleeves [23:5], they want people to exalt them with praise [23:7-8]. Jesus warns that those that exalt themselves shall be humbled and He will exalt the humble. But notice a couple of other things:
  • Do what they say, but they do not do them. [23:3] Could this be said of me. I talk about the right things. I correctly identify the Biblical truth. But I don't do the very things that I say are right. This reminds me of James--tell me about your faith and I will demonstrate my faith. Or, Why do you call Me Lord and do not keep My commandments? Or maybe, your lips say the right things, but your heart is far from Me. 
  • When they do good deeds, it is to be seen of men. [23:5]. First, you do not do what you say is right, but if you do, it is for the wrong reasons, the wrong motives. Have you ever known someone who wanted to make sure you knew all the good things they did. They would find a way to work it into the conversation. They would make sure everyone knew. Here I think God is reminding me of the proper audience--God sees everything and everything I do should be to please Him. When I do things solely to please men and to get them to exalt and praise me, I have the wrong audience. 
Lord, help me do deeds consistent with my profession of faith--solely for Your glory. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024