Thought for March 10

 Writing this morning from beautiful, snowy Moline Illinois.

History:

  • 418: Jews excluded from public office in the Roman empire
  • 1747: John Newton converted during a terrible storm at sea--Amazing Grace
  • 1849: Abraham Lincoln applies for a patent--only President to do so
  • 1862: US issues first paper money
  • 1876: First telephone call, "Mr. Watson, come here"
  • 1969: James Earl Ray pleads guilty to killing Martin Luther King Jr.
  • 1981: Kim Carnes releases "Bette Davis Eyes"
  • 1997: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" premiers
  • 1997: Palm Pilot released
  • Born: Barry Fitsgerald, Jethro Burns [Homer & Jethro], James Earl Ray, Chuck Norris, Osama Bin Laden, Sharon Stone, Pam Oliver, Jon Hamm, Shannon Miller, Carrie Underwood
  • Died: Tiberius [Emperor when Christ was crucified], Harriet Tubman, Zelda Fitzgerald, Ray Milland, Andy Gibb, Lloyd Bridges, Joni Sledge ["We Are Family"], Hubert de Givenchy
Thought:
Focused on Matthew 8:13 this morning. This verse comes at the end of the story about the centurion concerned about his servant, telling Jesus the servant is suffering with great pain. You recall that Jesus said He would come with the centurion and heal the servant. Notice the exchange that follows:
  • Jesus offers to come to the centurion's home and heal the servant. 
  • The centurion then says three important things:
    • I am unworthy for you to come in my house.
    • Say the word and my servant will be healed.
    • I understand authority.
  • Jesus marveled. 
  • Then Jesus said--go home, let it be done to you as you have believed. 
What does the Lord want me to see in this story?
  • Jesus is not concerned with my nationality, my job, my position, my wealth--He is concerned with my faith. The centurion was probably not a Jew for few Jews served as officers in the Roman army. The centurion was a Roman, the enemy and oppressor of the Jewish people. Luke's account tells us that the centurion had been kind to the Jewish people at Capernaum, building a synagogue for them. But Jesus received the request from the centurion.
  • Jesus was willing to go to the centurion's home. The priests and Pharisees might have objected to this, they might have felt entering the house made Jesus unclean. This reminds me that Jesus sends me to everyone with the healing presence of God. 
  • Now I am struck by the centurion's response:
    • The centurion understood that Jesus was holy and he was not. Sounds like John the Baptist--one comes after me whose sandal I am unworthy to tie. I think the first step for me each day is to remember who He is and who I am. He is God, creator of the universe, I am a sinner saved by grace alone. Keeping the right understanding of who He is and who I am brings humility and obedience.
    • The centurion knew the power of the word. God spoke and worlds came into existence. Now the centurion understood that Jesus did not need to go,  He did not need to touch, He merely needed to speak. In Isaiah, we read many times, "for the mouth of the Lord has spoken it." This reminds me that when God speaks, whatever He says is the reality, whatever He promises will be fulfilled. The Jews kept asking Jesus for signs and miracles--this centurion believed that Jesus only needed to speak.
    • The centurion recognized that Jesus had authority--over disease, over pain, over suffering. Makes me think about who has authority in my life.
Now the amazing part of the story--Jesus marveled. Imagine that we exercised so much faith that Jesus marveled. What does it take to make Jesus say "Wow." Lord, let me exercise faith in who You are and what You have said so that You say "Wow."

Finally, verse 13. Jesus said let it be as you have believed. Do I believe with such faith that Jesus would say--Larry, let it be as you have believed. Reminds me of that line in "It Is Well With My Soul"--"O Lord haste the day when faith shall be sight." Help us today live with such confidence in You, Jesus, that faith becomes sight. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024