Thought for February 7

 History:

  • 1817: Baltimore is first US city lit by gas street lamps
  • 1839: Henry Clay says, "I'd rather be right than President"
  • 1893: Vanderbilt claims to have participated in the first organized intercollegiate basketball game beating the YMCA 9-3 at the YMCA Gymnasium
  • 1940: Pinocchio" premiers
  • 1945: Douglas MacArthur returns to Manila
  • 1958: Dodgers officially become Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 1964: Beatles land at JFK for first tour of US
  • 1970: Pete Maravich scores 69 for LSU in a loss
  • 1974: "Blazing Saddles" premiers
  • 1987: Brian Boitano wins US Figure Skating Gold
  • 1990: Lisa Leslie scores 101 points for Morningside HS in the first half--opponents refuse to play second half and lose 102-24
  • 1992: Maastricht Treaty to create the European Union
  • 2010 Saints beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV
  • 2016: Bronco's beat Panthers in Super Bowl L
  • 2021: Bucs beat the Chiefs in Super Bowl LV
  • Born: John Deere, Charles Dickens, Garth Brooks, Chris Rock, Steve Nash, Ashton Kutcher
  • Died: Harvey Firestone, Anne Lindbergh, Albert Finney, Frank Robinson
Thought:
Chapter 6 of Jeremiah contains a lot of red underlining in my Bible. Three times in these 30 verses the Lord says, "Thus says the Lord." [6:9, 16, 22]. What does God want me to understand?
  • Everyone is sinning. Everyone is greedy [6:13]. Everyone deals falsely [6:13]. Everyone is stubbornly rebellious [6:28]. Everyone tells lies and lives a lie [6:28]. Everyone is corrupt. [6:28]. Sounds like what we read and see everyday. But this also reminds me about my life--if I say I have no sin then I deceive myself and call God a liar. Today, I pray with David--Lord, show me any unclean way in me. 
  • People think their offering and sacrifices buy them a right relationship with God [6:20]. I encountered some people during my law practice who thought they could run their business dishonestly, corruptly, falsely, cheating customers or the IRS, but then make things right by giving to church or charity. Then I find myself sinning and think if I increase my giving it makes everything fine, if I serve the church in some way, that fixes things. If I do a good deed, that makes up for my sin. Only one thing atones for my sin--the blood of the Lamb. 
  • God wants to warn us about the consequences of our sin and following other gods. [6:10] He has spoken in His word and wants us to hear and heed what He has said. But, our ears are closed [6:10]. We have chosen not to hear. Reminds me of conversations with my mother and sometimes with Jan. They are telling me something important, but my thoughts and mind are far away. so they say, "Are you listening to me?" "Did you hear what I said?" God has spoken clearly in His word. I read and listen, but do not hear. In fact, God refers back to a promise He made in Psalm 1--Blessed is the man who delights in God's word. In 6:17-19 God again says that He has sent watchmen with trumpets to warn the people of the coming trouble, but we will not listen. Weekly we hear sermons warning us, but really do not take it to heart. Lord, help us open our ears and truly hear what You are saying. 
  • God offers a way out--Return to the ancient paths, walk in the good way. [6:16] God says, "return to Me." Turn away from your wicked ways and walk in My way. And notice the promise--you will find rest for your soul. Reminds me of the hymn--"Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." "O soul are you weary and troubled, no light in the darkness you see. There's light for a look at the Savior and life more abundant and free.Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." " 
What a loving and gracious and holy God. Lord, help me today to turn my eyes, my heart and my soul to Jesus. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024