Thought for February 22

 History:

  • 1349: Jews expelled from Zurich
  • 1819: Adams-Onis Treaty cedes Florida to the US
  • 1854: First meeting of the Republican Party
  • 1876: Johns Hopkins University opens
  • 1879: Frank W. Woolworth opens first 5&dime store--it fails
  • 1893: First Iron Bowl--Auburn beats Alabama
  • 1935: "The Little Colonel" premiers--first inter-racial dance in the movies--Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson on the stairs
  • 1936: Sonja Henie wins her 10th straight world figure skating title
  • 1959: First Daytona 500-- Lee Petty wins in a contested finish
  • 1978: 2 propane tankers explode in Waverly Tennessee killing 15
  • 1980: Miracle on Ice--Lake Placid
  • Born: George Washington, Robert Baden-Powell [scouting], Edna St. Vincent Millay, Charlie Finley, Marni Nixon [dubbed the singing for Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady," Natalie Wood in "West Side Story," and Deborah Kerr in "The King and I"], Ted Kennedy, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Aaron, Oliver ["Jean" and "Good morning Starshine"], Julius Erving, Bill Frist, Amy Alcott, Steve Irwin, Vijay Singh, Drew Barrymore
  • Died: Amerigo Vespucci, Andy Warhol, Grandpa Jones, Wesley Clark, Nanette Fabray
Thought:
Back in Malachi this morning. Reading 1:6-14. Here is some truth that scares me. When you offer a defiled sacrifice to God, God sees it as a rejection and thinks you despise Him. 

The context: The priests were swindlers [1:14]. They were taking the good animals that the people brought and substituting lame, sick and blemished animals. Keeping the good for themselves and offering the lame to God. 

God's reaction: Those sacrifices:
  • Dishonor My name [1:6]. 
  • Show no respect [1:6
  • Are evil [1:8]
  • Would not be given to those you love and respect. [1:8]
  • Profane My name [1:12]
  • Not pleasing and unacceptable [1:10]
God's proclamation: My name will be great among the nations [1:11]; I am King, the Lord of Hosts. [1:14]

Application: What does the Lord say about Larry's sacrifices? Does He say that sacrifice dishonors my name, shows no respect for Me, is evil and unacceptable? I don't bring animals, but I don't think God is even talking about just my tithes and offerings. Romans 12:1-2 commands me to present my body as a living and holy sacrifice, a transformed body, renewed and not conformed to the world. A living sacrifice that proves to the world that which is good and acceptable and perfect to God. I need to let that soak in: 
  • I am not to be conformed to the world but be transformed by the Holy Spirit constantly renewing my thoughts and my actions. I am to be different--living [really living] and holy. 
  • My transformation is to be evidence of what God says is good and acceptable and perfect. We talk about being witnesses. A witness presents the truth--evidence. What kind of evidence of God's will and plan am I? 
  • This is my reasonable sacrifice and worship. Anything less is a swindle, a dishonor, a disrespect, a profanity, unacceptable. 
I have a lot to do to get my sacrifice in order. Praise God I do not have to do it in my own strength. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024