Thought for February 15

 History:

  • 399 BC: Socrates is sentenced to death for corrupting the minds of youths. How many would die if this were a crime today?
  • 1764: St. Louis is founded as a French trading post
  • 1842: First adhesive postage stamp in the U.S. 
  • 1862: Grant assaults Fort Donelson
  • 1967: "Blue Danube Waltz" by Strauss premiers
  • 1879: Women authorized to practice before the Supreme Court
  • 1898: U.S. Maine sinks in Havana Harbor
  • 1903: First Teddy Bear introduced
  • 1919: American Legion organizes in France
  • 1932: George Burns and Gracie Allen debut on the Guy Lombardo Show
  • 1933: FDR survives assassination attempt that kills Chicago Mayor
  • 1936: Hitler announces the Volkswagen Beetle
  • 1941: Duke Ellington records "Take the A Train"
  • 1950: Disney's "Cinderella" premiers
  • 1961: U.S. Figure Skating Team killed in plane crash--Brussels
  • 1965: Red Maple Leaf flag becomes official flag of Canada
  • 1996: Bill Belichick fired by the Cleveland Browns
  • 1997: Todd Eldridge and Tara Lipinski win US Figure Skating Championships in Nashville
  • 2005: YouTube launched in the US
  • Born: Galileo, Heinrich Steinway, Cyrus McCormick, Charles Lewis Tiffany, Susan B Anthony, Ernest Shackleton, Alfred Gilbert [erector set inventor], Lew Wallace ["Ben Hur"], Caesar Romero, Hale Boggs, Graham Hill [racer], Jane Seymour, Chris Farley, Seattle Slew
  • Died: Maribel Vinson [9 time US Figure Skating Champ], Nat King Cole,Wally Cox, Ethel Merman, Tommy Rettig [Lassie]
Thought:
I skipped over Jonah to get to Micah. The next couple of days, I want to go back to Jonah. Now everyone knows the story, but a couple of verses hit me--they are underlined in my Bible, but for different reasons than those I now see and understand. 

Take a look this morning at 1:1-3. The Lord speaks to Jonah. Stop here for a moment and think about that. The Lord spoke to Jonah. Amazing! The Creator of the universe speaks to Jonah. Have you ever received a call from some very important or highly positioned person and been surprised that they called you. Or perhaps you met an important person for a second time and they actually remembered your name. Now think about the Almighty, Eternal God speaking to you. If you were Jonah and the Lord spoke to you how would you react? 

Well, how did Jonah react? God is asking me to do something I do not want to do. So I will flee from the presence of the Lord. This sounds too familiar to me. God who is omniscient and omnipresent speaks to Larry with a word I do not want to hear or something I do not want to do. So I ignore God's voice, I run from God's voice, I try and have other things drown out God's voice. I make excuses, create reasons. 

What has the Lord said to you? In your prayers, in your Bible reading, in your listening to sermons, in your conversations with Godly friends. How do you react? Recall when you were a child or teenager. Your parent spoke something you did not want to hear or something you did not want to do. So you pretended you did not hear; then you said you did not understand; then you came up with your excuses why that was a bad idea; then you said you would do it, but didn't. Well, maybe that was how I responded, not you. 

My take away is when the Lord, the God of Creation, the Almighty, my Savior, Redeemer speaks to me, it is a miracle of love and grace. So when He speaks, I answer like Isaiah--Here am I, send me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024