Thought for January 7

 History:

  • 1610: Galileo discovers first 3 moons of Jupiter
  • 1785: First balloon flight across the English Channel
  • 1830: First US railroad station opens in Baltimore
  • 1899: Walter Camp publishes first All American Football Team
  • 1927: First game of the Harlem Globetrotters
  • 1929: "Buck Rogers" comic strip premiers
  • 1950: Hank Snow's first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry
  • 1955: Marian Anderson becomes first African American to perform with NY Metropolitan Opera
  • 1959: US recognizes Fidel Castro's government
  • 1999: Bill Clinton's impeachment trial begins
  • 2015: Terrorists attack Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris killing 12
  • 2019: Cyntoia Brown pardoned by Governor Haslam
  • Born: Millard Fillmmore, Butterfly McQueen, Lou Graham, Kenny Loggins, Katie Couric, Rand Paul, Nicholas Cage, Lamar Jackson, Carolyn Curry
  • Died: Catherine of Aragon, William Bradbury [tunes for "Sweet Hour of Prayer," "Jesus Loves Me," "Take My Life and Let it Be,"], Nikola Tesla, Trevor Howard, Hirohito, Bronko Nagurski, Rod Taylor
Thought:
I've marked Chapter 7 in Ecclesiastes because it gives some comparisons that a wise man should understand:
  • A good name is better than money [7:1] Would you rather be rich, or have a name that makes people think about honesty, truth, generosity, grace, mercy, patience, kindness? Well, we bear the name "Christian", little Christ. His name makes people think all the right things. Bearing His name means my life should make people think the right things. And what about money--can't take it with me and others will use it when I'm gone. 
  • Make your death day better than your birth day [7:2]. Think about it. When you were born, you faced years of work, pain, sorrow, tears, disappointment, hunger, thirst. When you were born again, you received love, joy, peace, but were still living in a body that faced disease, illness, pain and sorrow. When this body dies--all joy, all love, all peace and no tears, sorrow or pain. I used to tell graduating classes at Belmont--On the day you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life so that on the day you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice. 
  • Discipline of the wise is better than the praise of fools [7:5] Boy, don't I need to hear that. Correction and admonition by a wise person is so much more valuable than the praise of my posse, my entourage, my "friends." 
  • The end is better than the beginning [7:8] How is that so? Well here Solomon says that starting with good intentions, but without follow through is vanity. Starting without finishing is useless. That's why Paul says I finished the race, I fought the good fight. Jesus says, "It is finished." Reminds me that sticking with it, staying the course, standing fast matter. Recall Jesus asking which was better to say you are going to the field and work and not go, or to say your are not going and then go. 
  • The present is better than the past. [7:10] Do not spend your life pinning for the good ole days. Today, you can do something for good and you cannot change yesterday. Today you have the opportunity to learn, grow, change, rejoice. Larry, do not live on past accomplishments--carpe diem. What are you doing for the Lord today? Reminds me of Paul, forgetting what lies behind, I press on. So in 2023, I will not let the past hold me and will not let the past cause me to sit on my laurels. I will press on toward the calling in Christ. 
If this was good advice for Solomon, it is good advice for me. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024