Thought for January 26

 History:

  • 1482: Pentateuch first published as a book
  • 1784: Ben Franklin expresses his disappointment that the eagle [not the turkey] is  chosen as the National symbol
  • 1838: Tennessee passes the first prohibition law in the US
  • 1875: Electric dental drill patented
  • 1906: Church of God convenes its first General Assembly in Cleveland TN
  • 1907: First federal law on corrupt election practices passed
  • 1915: Rocky Mountain National Park established
  • 1926: First public demonstration of television
  • 1960: Pete Rozelle becomes NFL Commissioner on the 23rd ballot
  • 1998: President Clinton says, "I did not have sex with that woman."
  • Born: Mary Mapes Dodge ["Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates"], Douglas MacArthur, Bindo Maserati, Maria Von Trapp, Louis Zamperini ["Unbroken"], Paul Newman, Bob Uecker, Scott Glenn, Gene Siskel, Eddie Van Halen, Ellen Degeneres, Wayne Gretzky
  • Died: Edward Jenner [smallpox vaccine], Peter Marshall, Nelson Rockefeller, Bear Bryant, Barbara Hale [Della on Perry Mason], Michel Legrand, Kobe Bryant
Thought:
Ever been in a situation where you said, "if only." If only things were different. If only the time was different. If only I hadn't made that foolish mistake or had a do over. If only. If only I had known what was going to happen. If only I had prepared better. If only I had known is was a big deal. I have underlined Isaiah 48:18 in my Bible. "If only you had paid attention to My commandments!" Think about that for a moment. Think of a few of His commandments.
  • If only I had loved God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.
  • If only I had loved my neighbor as myself.
  • If only I had allowed my heart to be filled with love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness and self-control.
  • If only I had turned from evil and done good.
  • If only I had forgiven those who trespassed against me.
  • If only I had prayed for those that despitefully used me. 
  • If only I had sought first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
  • If only.
Notice what God says in 48:18-19. Wellness would have flowed over you like a river. You would have been  engulfed, overwhelmed, flooded with the blessing of the Lord. And your right living would have been like the waves of the sea--constant, consistent, always there. Your descendants would have been numerous and blessed. And you would be constantly before the face of the Lord. If only.

Now the good news--forgetting what lies behind, press on toward your goal--your calling in christ. Do not live in the "if only." 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024