Thought for January 20

 History:

  • 1887: Senate approves naval base at Pearl Harbor
  • 1930: First radio broadcast of "The Lone Ranger"
  • 1937: First Presidential inauguration on January 20th
  • 1942: Wannsee Conference organizes "final solution" for the Jews
  • 1968: Peggy Fleming wins US Figure Skating Championship
  • 1981: Hostages in Iran are released
  • 1986: First MLK Day
  • 1987: Terry Waite taken hostage in Beirut
  • 2008" "Breaking Bad" premiers--never seen it
  • Born: George Burns, Joy Adamson ["Born Free"], DeForest Kelley [Dr. McCoy on Star Trek], Federico Fellini, Patricia Neal, Arte Johnson, Buzz Aldrin, Carol Heiss Jenkins [4 time world champ and 1960 Olympic Gold medalist in figure skating], Bill Maher, Nikki Haley, Jalen Rose, Nick Foles
  • Died: Miles Coverdale [first complete English language Bible], Josh Gibson, Johnny Weissmuller [Tarzan and 5 Olympic gold medals in swimming],  Barbara Stanwyck, Audrey Hepburn, Etta James
Thought:
I love Isaiah 40. It begins with the command--comfort My people. What gives you comfort, assurance, the peace we wrote about yesterday? The dictionary defines "comfort" as to make strong, invigorate, fortify; to impart strength, hope, cheer; solace in the time of trouble; relief; satisfaction; free from want, anxiety, pain. Why are the people comforted--their iniquity has been removed. [40:2] Think about your life. When I accepted Christ as Savior and Lord, He removed my iniquity, paid the price for all my sin, covered my guilt with His blood. And so I am free from want, anxiety, and filled with relief, hope, strength, cheer. I am satisfied with Jesus. He is my Comfort and sent the Holy Spirit as my Comforter. 

Isaiah 40:3-5 is often thought of as a verse about John the Baptist because he said I am one calling in the wilderness, "prepare the way of the Lord." This morning I see this verse as also an instruction to me--our world is like a wilderness. We go into that world to announce and proclaim--the Lord is coming, prepare the way. People, get prepared for the coming of the Lord. The day is coming soon when "the glory of the Lord will be revealed and all flesh will see it together." Be ready. Be prepared. Be alert. Our job is to warn and to invite people to that coming day of the Lord. 

How can I proclaim the good news with confidence--"the mouth of the Lord has spoken." When I hear Messiah sung, I am always struck by this passage--for the mouth of the Lord has spoken it. How can we face today--we have promises from the Lord so we can say--the mouth of the Lord has spoken, and when that happens is it certain, secure, guaranteed. I do not have to see it for it to be true. So we pray with Horatio Spafford--"Lord haste the day when faith shall be sight, the sky rolled back like a scroll." Until then, be comforted for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024