Thought for January 10

 History:

  • 49 BC: Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon
  • 1776: Thomas Paine publishes "Common Sense"
  • 1917: First protest outside the White House by the Suffragettes
  • 1946: First meeting of UN General Assembly [London]
  • 1967: Edward Brooke is seated as the first popularly elected African American Senator
  • 1982: Dwight Clark makes  "The Catch" as the 49ers beat Dallas for the NFC Championship
  • 1999: "The Sopranos" debuts
  • Born: Ethan Allen, Frank James, George Washington Carver, Rod Stewart, George Foreman
  • Died: Carl Linnaeus, Samuel Colt, Coco Chanel, David Bowie
Thought:
At the end of the book of Ecclesiastes, I have marked 12:12. This is a strange verse: "But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body." 
Lord, what should I learn from this truth? 
  • Should I not read or write? No, that's not it. Verse 11 tells me that words of wise men are like goads and nails. So I read the words of wise men to be goaded--stimulated to action, guided in the right direction. And I use the words to nail things down---built a foundation, create stability in my life. Here I am prompted to read God's word. It will guide my life, energize my actions, keep me going when it is difficult. And I read and memorize God's word because it is sure footing for life, the foundation on the rock, the anchor for the soul. 
  • Then what does Solomon mean? To me he says, don't spend all your time studying, learning, becoming an expert. God expects us to apply what we read in His word. James tells us to demonstrate our faith by what we do. Solomon had spent years studying and writing. He learned that cannot be the end game--action must follow. Maybe volunteering to serve is better than another Bible study. 
As I mentioned last week, Solomon concludes that after all his searching and study, he has learned:
  • Fear God. Awe and worship Him.
  • Keep His commandments. They are designed for our good and His glory.
  • God is watching and a judgment is coming. May He find us faithful. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024