Thought for December 8

 History: 

  • 1813: Beethoven's Seventh Symphony premiers with him directing
  • 1886: AFL forms with Samuel Gompers as President
  • 1915: "In Flanders Fields" published anonymously [John McCrae]
  • 1931: Coaxial cable patented
  • 1934: John and Betty Stam, missionaries to China, are killed by the Communist. Met at Moody Bible College.
  • 1952: First TV acknowledgement of pregnancy--I Love Lucy
  • 1966: Luis Palau leads his first city-wide meeting in Bogota
  • 1978" "The Deer Hunter" premiers
  • 1982: "Sophie's Choice" premiers
  • 2007: Tim Tebow wins the Heisman
  • Born: Horace, Mary Queen of Scots, Eli Whitney, Clinton Bowen Fisk [endowed Fisk University], William Durant [founded GM and Frigidaire], James Thurber, Lee J Cobb, Sammy Davis Jr., Flip Wilson, James Galway, Gregg Allman, Ann Coulter
  • Died: Martin Rinkart ["Now Thank We All Our God"], Tris Speaker, Golda Meir, John Glenn
Thought:
Psalm 100 has a number of commands that are powerful reminders of how life should be.
  • Shout joyfully to the Lord. Well, how often do you shout to the Lord. Here I think the psalmist is calling us to be vocal and enthusiastic is praising our Lord. I noticed something in church a few weeks ago. The choir was singing a song that repeatedly said the word "Jesus." No one could frown while singing His name. The very name Jesus forces our lips into a smile--we say His name with joy.
  • Serve the Lord with gladness. I love this verse. It corrects my attitude as I serve--don't serve from duty, because you have to, because everyone expects you to. Serve with gladness--I have been asked to serve the King of Kings and Lord of Lords--gladly. 
  • Come before Him with joyful singing--This strikes me funny since I have seen some who sing but seem to have no joy. If we are singing praises to the King--we sing with a smile, with great joy. 
  • Why do we shout, sing and serve--the Lord is God, Creator, Great Shepherd. And we are His people, His possession, His sheep. What could be a greater joy--I am a sheep of the Great Shepherd--I shall not want, I walk in green pastures, I walk by still water, He restores my soul, His rod and staff comfort me, death cannot separate me. Good to be a sheep of the Great Shepherd--so I shout and sing and serve.
  • My response-
    • Thanksgiving
    • Praise
    • Blessing His name--with my mouth and with my life. My life should be seen by the world as a blessing to His name. Why? Because He is faithful, loving, and good forever. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024