Thought for December 31

 History:

  • 1744: James Bradley announces discovery of earth's wobble
  • 1770: America's first known "watch night" service held at St. George's Methodist Church in Philadelphia
  • 1862: Battle of Stone's River begins
  • 1862: Monitor sinks off Cape Hatteras
  • 1864: Abraham Lincoln proposes to his cabinet that the Constitution be amended to recognize "the Deity." The cabinet opposes the idea and it is dropped.
  • 1879: Cornerstone for Iolani Palace laid, only royal palace in the US
  • 1879: First public demonstration of incandescent lamp
  • 1904: First New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square [Longacre Square]
  • 1911: Marie Curie receives her second Nobel prize
  • 1938: First breath-o-lizer introduced
  • 1945: Ratification of the UN Charter
  • 1961: Beach Boys first play using that name
  • 1961: Packers win 1st of 5 Championships in 7 years under Lombardi
  • 1962: Match Game premiers
  • 1967: Evel Knievel fails to jump the fountains at Caesar's Palace
  • 1981: CNN Headline News premiers
  • 2010: "The Walking Dead" premiers. 
  • Born: Jacques Cartier, Bonnie Prince Charlie, Charles Cornwallis, Henru=i Matisse, Elizabeth Arden, George Marshall, Simon Wiesenthal, Rex Allen, Odetta, Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, John Denver, Diane Von Furstenberg, Tim Matheson, Donna Summer, Val Kilmer, Heath Shuler, Gabby Douglas
  • Died: John Wycliffe, Alice Ball [developed treatment for leprosy], Roberto Clemente, Ricky Nelson, George Allen, Thomas Watson [IBM], Natalie Cole
A couple of years ago, I wrote about Melania the Younger who lived in Italy in the 400's. She wanted to follow a celibate life following Christ, but her wealthy parents wanted heirs. so they married her [14] to her cousin Pinianus [17], whose parents were equally wealthy. They eventually owned property in Italy, Sicily, Gallia, Spain, Britain, Carthage, Numidia, Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine and Egypt. Pinianus convinced Melania to have children, but a son and a daughter each died shortly after birth. They decided to follow the advice of Christ to the rich young ruler and sell everything to follow Him. They freed 8000 slaves in Italy, gave to charity, but it took decades to give away everything. They met St. Jerome and founded a monastery on the Mt of Olives. Pinianus died in 420 and Melania lived on the generosity of others. Yet she still raised money for a monastery on the Mount of Ascension. She died in 439. I end the year on this story because it teaches a great lesson that I need for 2023. 

Whatever I am holding on to from the past, give it to Jesus. Whatever I hope for in the new year, look to Jesus. Paul told the Philippians, "forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Melania was the richest person in the world, but wanted to give it all up to follow Christ. What do I need to give up tonight. What do I need to turn over to Him. So we pray:
  • Lord, help me to forget the failures and set backs of 2022. Don't let Satan beat me up with those sins and failures You have forgiven. Don't let me dwell on my defeats for You are victorious.
  • Lord, don't allow me to take pride in any accomplishment from 2022. Don't let me think that anything good I have done is from me--it is from You and through You. Don't let me rest on my laurels or relax in my successes. 
  • Lord, challenge me and encourage me to press on, not yield, seize the day. Give me strength to push against the evil one, patience to endure. Pressing means there is opposition, so Lord help me to see the right and then do it. 
  • Lord, do not allow me to become content, let me work while there is light, for the night is coming for me soon and then I can rest. 
  • Lord, help me keep my heart and eyes focused on the prize and not distracted by things of this world. Let me ignore the temporary, the false, the things that claim to give joy and peace but are lies and false. 
  • Lord, remind me daily to look up and say with David--my help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth. 
  • And Lord, when this day comes in 2023, may You look at Your servant and say, "well done."
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024