Thought for December 30

 History: 

  • 1903: Iroquois Theater fire in Chicago kills 602
  • 1922: USSR formed
  • 1924: Edwin Hubble announces existence of other galaxies. David recognized this 3000 years earlier.
  • 1925: The first "Ben Hur" premiers
  • 1944: Corrie Ten Boom released from prison camp. She, her sister and father had been imprisoned in April for helping Jews evade the Nazis. Father died within 10 days. She and her sister used a smuggled Bible to witness to many and some were saved. Sister died in December. Returning to Holland, Corrie said, "You can never learn that Christ is all you need until Christ is all you have."
  • 1963: "Let's Make a Deal" premiers
  • 1968: Frank Sinatra first records "My Way"
  • 1978: Woody Hayes fired
  • 2002: Three Christian missionaries are shot and killed in a Baptist hospital in Yemen. A fourth is left in critical condition but survives.
  • 2008 and 2013: Mike Shanahan is fired--Denver in 2008 and Washington in 2013.
  • Born: Titus [destroyed Jerusalem in 70 AD], Asa Candler [founded Coca Cola], Rudyard Kipling, Simon Guggenheim, Tojo, Bert Parks, Jack Lord, Bo Diddley, Skeeter Davis, Sandy Koufax, John Hartford, Meredith Vieira, Mike Pompeo, Tiger Woods, LeBron James
  • Died: Sonny Liston, Richard Rodgers, Saddam Hussein, 
Thought:
Finishing the passages I marked in Proverbs today. Take a look at Proverbs 30:5-10. Here are some thoughts directed at me as I end this year and look forward to 2023.
  • 30:5--Every word of God is tested. I like to know when something I am using and relying on has been tested and has passed the test. God's word has been tested by men and women throughout the ages and has never failed. It is proven, always correct, without error. So if we take refuge in His word and His Word, we are safe and secure. 
  • 30:6--Do not add to His words. In the garden, we see God's word misquoted and added to. God's words are complete and all sufficient. Larry cannot add to them or improve them. The wisdom of man is foolishness to God.
  • 30:7-9. Here is a prayer to end this year with
    • Lord, keep deception and lies far from me. Lord let me listen to Your truth and recognize when Satan and this world are deceiving me with lies. Give me an ear to discern the truth and then do it.
    • Lord, give me neither poverty nor riches--just give me my daily bread, teaching me constant reliance on You and Your provision. Help me have a contented heart.
    • Lord, feed me with the right food--Living Bread and Water. Help me have a voracious appetite for Your manna and become sick at the thought of taking into my life anything impure or unholy. 
    • Lord, do not allow me to get satisfied with the things of this world, but find satisfaction only in You. 
    • Lord, may the meditations of my mind and the words of my mouth be acceptable as a living and holy sacrifice of praise to You, for You alone are worthy of praise. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024