Thought for December 12

 History:

  • 1694: Edmond Halley censured by The Royal Society for writing that Noah's flood could be the result of a comet striking earth. Censured because his theory was inconsistent with Biblical account.
  • 1792: Beethoven receives his first lesson in music composition--teacher was Haydn
  • 1870: Joseph Rainey of South Carolina is first black to serve in US House of Representatives
  • 1878: Joseph Pulitzer begins publishing the "St. Louis Post Dispatch"
  • 1899: Wooden golf tee patented
  • 1901: Marconi sends the first transatlantic radio signal
  • 1917: Boy's Town founded by Rev. Edward Flanagan [Great movie with Mickey Rooney]
  • 1937: First mobile TV vans--NYC
  • 1946: "Tide" detergent introduced
  • 1946: John D Rockefeller gives UN 6 city blocks for headquarters in NY
  • 1961: Adolph Eichmann convicted of war crimes
  • 1972" "The Poseidon Adventure" premiers
  • 1980: Apple makes its first public stock offering
  • 1985: DC-8 crashes near Gander Newfoundland--258 killed
  • 1988: "Rainman" premiers
  • 2000: Supreme Court decision in Bush v. Gore released
  • Born: John Jay, Henry Wells [Wells Fargo], Gustave Flaubert, Edvard Munch [The Scream], Edward G Robinson, Frank Sinatra, Ed Koch, Bob Petit, Connie Francis, Dionne Warwick, Tracy Austin, Jennifer Connelly, 
  • Died: Robert Browning, Douglas Fairbanks, Tallulah Bankhead, Anne Baxter, Joseph Heller, Keiko [star of Free Willy], Peter Boyle, Ike Turner, Tom Laughlin [Billy Jack], Charley Pride, John le Carre, 
Thought:
Reading Psalm 121 today. As I read, I marvel at the Lord, His love, His power, His grace. Consider this song of ascents, a song sung by the children of Israel as they walked toward Jerusalem. For them, the Lord was in His Temple on Mt. Zion. As they walked they looked up to the mountain to acknowledge that their help, their only real help, came from the Lord. What a way to start the day--acknowledging, proclaiming that our only hope, our only help is the Lord. So Jesus, we come to Thee and Thee alone for our needs to be met. Why come to the Lord alone? Notice:
  • He made everything [121:2]. We go to the Lord for help because He has the power to respond and provide. If He could speak the stars into space, what do I need that He cannot provide? 
  • He is always there. [121:4] My doctor may be asleep, on vacation, busy with another patient--my Lord is always there. Wherever I am, He is there. Whenever I need Him, He is there. While others may be unwilling to help, unable to help, unavailable to help--He is there. So I can sleep in perfect peace because the Lord never sleeps.
  • The Lord is my keeper, my shepherd. [121:5] Think about that this morning. When the kids were small, we would leave them with a baby sitter. If it was a sitter we knew well, one we had relied on before, one that loved our children, we did not worry--we knew who was keeping the children. Same with the Lord--we know who is keeping us--the One who laid down His life for us; the One who left glory to save us. Knowing and believing this drives out fear and anxiety--for all that the Father gave to Jesus, He loses none.
    • My keeper keeps me from stumbling [121:3]. His word is a light unto my path. His Holy Spirit gives me wisdom, guides me, leads me, teaches me, reminds me. 
    • My keeper is my shade [121:5]. The things of this earth would blind me, exhaust me, sap my strength, create thirst and hunger. But my keeper places His hand over me to protect me and opens His hand to provide for me.
    • My keeper protects me [121:7]. His rod and staff comfort me. If He is for me, whom shall I fear. I need to remind myself every day, that when the three Jewish boys were placed in the furnace, Jesus walked with them and they came out of the fire without even the smell of smoke. 
    • My keeper has control of my destiny [121:7-8]. My soul is safe with Him. Nothing can separate me from His love--not life or death. 
    • He is my keeper forever [121:8] He does not change with time or circumstances. He is there today and will be forever. 
Notice that all I have to do is accept Him as my keeper and then look up. Do not look at the circumstances--look at the Keeper.

Blessings
Larry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024