Thought for November 26

 History:

  • 1778: James Cook visits Maui [1st European]
  • 1789: First national Thanksgiving
  • 1791: First US Cabinet meeting at the home of George Washington
  • 1825: First college fraternity--Kappa Alpha
  • 1842: University of Notre Dame founded
  • 1865: "Alice in Wonderland" published in the US
  • 1896: Amos Alonzo Stagg creates the football huddle
  • 1922: Howard Carter opens King Tut's tomb
  • 1940: Nazis begin walling off Jewish ghetto in Warsaw
  • 1942: "Casablanca" premiers
  • 1948: First Polaroid camera sold--$89.75
  • 1956" The Price is Right" with Bill Cullen premiers
  • 1963: Roger Staubach wins Heisman
  • 1973: Rose Marie Woods says she caused the 18.5 minute gap in the White House tapes
  • 1983: Brinks Robbery at Heathrow Airport
  • Born: John Harvard, Ellen White [Seventh- Day Adventist], Mary Edwards Walker [surgeon and only woman to receive Medal of honor during the War Between the States], Bat Masterson, Willis Carrier [air conditioning], Norbert Weiner [cybernetics], Bill Wilson [founder AA], Bruno Hauptmann [Lindbergh kidnapper], Charles Schulz, Robert Goulet, Tina Turner, Dale Jarrett, 
  • Died: Isabella I [Columbus], Sojourner Truth, Tommy Dorsey, Stan Berenstain [Berenstain Bears], Stephen Sondheim, 
Thought:
Reading Psalm 27 this morning. Having a bad day? Things going wrong? Everything and everybody seem to be against you---body hurting or failing, relationships busted, feeling depressed or down? Here is some good news:

The Lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life, whom shall I dread?---No one!

Now notice that the foundation of this no fear, no dread promise is that the Lord is my light and my salvation. The confidence to ask whom shall I fear is based not on my courage, my strength, my wisdom--it is based on the Lord is my light and salvation. When we fear, we have not walked in His light and been confident in our salvation. When we know we are walking in His light and that our salvation is secure, who makes you afraid who threatens you? No one. Think about it:
  • Ye though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I do not fear. Why? He is with me with His rod and His staff. 
  • When I walk through the fire, I am not afraid. Why? When they looked in the furnace there were four men inside and one looked like the Son of God. 
  • If God is for us, who can be against us? God gave up His Son for us, will He not give us all things? [Romans 8:31]
  • Who will condemn us or bring an accusation against us? God has justified us in Jesus who sits at the right hand of God interceding for us. [Romans 8:33-34]
  • Who can separate us from the love of God? [Romans 8:35-39] NOT
    • Tribulation
    • Distress
    • Persecution, Illness, famine, nakedness
    • Peril, Sword
    • Life, death
    • Angels, principalities, powers, 
    • Past, present, future
    • Height or depth
    • Any created thing
Look at the list. Whatever is causing you fear or doubt is on that list. Now sing the hymn--Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024