Thought for November 22

History:

  • 1497: Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope
  • 1927: First snowmobile patent issued
  • 1928: "Bolero" by Maurice Ravel first publicly performed--Torvill and Dean
  • 1930: Elijah Muhammad forms Nation of Islam in Detroit
  • 1934: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" first presented
  • 1955: RCA buys Elvis' contract from Sun Records for $35,000
  • 1963: Kennedy Assassination
  • 1966: Steve Spurrier wins Heisman
  • 1995: "Toy Story" released
  • 2005: Angela Merkel becomes first woman Chancellor of Germany
  • Born: Abigail Adams, George Eliot [Silas Marner], Charles de Gaulle, Harley Earl [auto designer], Wiley Post, Hoagy Carmichael, Rodney Dangerfield, Eugene Stoner [invented M16], Geraldine Page, Robert Vaughn, Billie Jean King, Jamie Lee Curtis, Boris Becker, Scarlett Johansson, 
  • Died: Blackbeard, George Ferris [Ferris Wheel], Arthur Sullivan [Onward Christian Soldiers, Gilbert & Sullivan], Jack London, Shemp Howard [Stooge], Aldous Huxley, C.S. Lewis, John Kennedy, Mae West, Emil Zatopek [distance runner],  
Thought:
I have bracketed Psalm 9:1-2 in my Bible. We are in Thanksgiving week as I read this again today. What a great week to follow this psalm's teaching:
  • Give God thanks with all my heart. This week, what are you giving God thanks for---Jesus, forgiveness, salvation, relationship with Him. Joy, peace, security and protection. His faithfulness over the years. Perhaps family, friends, your church. Maybe for your country and the freedoms and blessings we enjoy. How long would it take to list all the things and people you are thankful for? Notice, it says I will give thanks with my whole heart--this is not an exercise, a ritual, it is a constant and complete realization that every good and perfect gift comes from the Father of Lights. 
  • Tell of His wonders . Take a look at you list of things you are thankful for. Now tell everyone about the amazing grace and tender mercy, about the abounding love that provided all those blessings. The children of Israel were constantly reminded to recall all of the miracles and blessings of the Lord and then tell others, starting with their children and grandchildren. This week as your family gathers, take time to share the blessings God has provided with others.
  • I will be glad and rejoice in God. Considering all my blessings and all the things I am thankful for, I am glad and rejoice. All those blessings are demonstrations of His love and care, so I rejoice in Him. We sing "He has made me glad, I will rejoice for He has made me glad." Glad that I heard about Jesus; glad that I accepted the gift; glad that His promises are true; glad that His plan is perfect; glad that His timing is perfect; glad that His power is sufficient and abundant; glad that He has prepared a place for me; glad that He will return to claim me as His own. Yes, He had made me glad.
  • I will sing praise to His name. I think here we are to sing out loud our praise. And then we are to make our lives a song of praise to Him. In Ephesians it says we are His workmanship created for good works. The word "workmanship" is the word for poem. A song is a poem put to music. So God is writing a song in our lives in the good works we do. Let's sing loudly with our voices and loudly with out lives--praise to His name.
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024