Thought for October 6

 History:

  • 1866: First US train robbery--Reno brothers take $13,000]
  • 1871: First national tour of the Fisk Jubilee Singers begins
  • 1882: First World Series Game
  • 1889: Moulin Rouge opens in Paris
  • 1889: Thomas Edison shows his 1st motion picture
  • 1890: General Conference of the Mormons outlaws polygamy
  • 1893: Cream of wheat invented
  • 1927: "The Jazz Singer" released
  • 1945: Mr. Sianis buys a seat for his billy goat for game 4 of the World Series. He is thrown out and places billy goat curse on the Chicago Cubs
  • 1951: Stalin says Russia has the bomb
  • 1960: "Spartacus" premiers
  • 1966: LSD declared illegal in California
  • 1985: Phil Niekro wins his 300th game
  • 2010: Instagram launched
  • 2018: Brent Kavanaugh sworn in
  • Born: Jenny Lind [Swedish Nightingale], George Westinghouse, Le Corbusier, Helen Wills Moody [19 Grand Slam titles], Janet Gaynor, Carole Lombard, Thor Heyerdahl, Fred Graham, Tony Dungy, Elisabeth Shue, Rebecca Lobo, 
  • Died: William Tyndale [strangled and burned for Protestant faith], Alfred Tennyson, Will Kellogg, Walter Hagen [golf], Anwar Sadat, Bette Davis, Billy Joe Royal [Down in the Boondocks], Rip Taylor, Eddie Van Halen, 
Thought:
Reading 2 Samuel 12 today. Here are four words that cause me to stop and examine and reflect--"You are the man!" [12:7] You recall the situation. David has sinned with Bathsheba, Uriah has been killed, and David thinks the evidence of his sin has been destroyed. Then Nathan comes with the story about the rich man and the poor man [12:1-4] and David is enraged and says "this man deserves to die." Then those fateful words--you are the man! 

Ever been there. You did something wrong and maybe you thought no one knew. Maybe time had passed and you had forgotten your sin. Then someone else commits a similar sin and you are outraged--righteously indignant--and say that person is worthless, they deserve to be punished. Then the Spirit shakes your memory and you think--that was me, I did that. And perhaps for the first time you deal with that sin. 

I am struck by what God said to David. David--I made you king; I protected you from the hand of Saul; I gave you Saul's house and wives; I gave you Israel and Judah [the unified kingdom]. God gave David everything he could hope or dream for and David betrayed God over a sin of the flesh. Then did you catch it--God says and if all that wasn't enough, I would have given you more. Reminds me that God provides everything we need from His riches. I have heard unfaithful employees have this very conversation. They have been treated well by their employer and yet they embezzle or steal. When caught, the employer says, "if you really needed something more, I would have given it to you." Read Romans 8:32 this morning--"He who did not spare His own son, but delivered Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things." WOW! How much does God love us?

Now consider Psalm 51, David's response to God. Perhaps today we may need to repeat this Psalm to the Lord:
  • I know my transgression [51:3] My sin is right there in my face.
    • I have hurt myself and others, but I sinned against You God.
    • God, You are just to punish my sin. I have no excuse.
  • Cleanse me, forgive me, redeem me [51:7] Only God can forgive sin and only Jesus can make it white as snow.
  • Renew me, give me a fresh start [51:10]
  • Restore my joy [51:12]. My sin separated me from fellowship. 
  • I will be a witness to Your love, mercy and grace. [51:13] 
  • I will praise You [51:15]
  • I will bring the sacrifice of a broken heart over my sin. [51:17]
It only took a decision to be lounging rather than engaged in the battle, a look that turned into a stare, then lust, then a plan, then an action, then a coverup. Sin is always a slippery slope. So what should I do today--dress for battle and then get busy sharing the good news. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024