Thought for October 21

 History:

  • 335: Constantine rules Jews may not buy and circumcise Christian slaves
  • 1512: Martin Luther joins the faculty at the University of Wittenberg
  • 1520: Magellan becomes first European to sail into the Pacific
  • 1797: USS Constitution launched
  • 1824: Portland cement patented
  • 1854: Florence Nightingale and nurses sent to Crimean War
  • 1958: First woman seated in British House of Lords
  • 1959: Guggenheim Museum opens in NYC --Frank Lloyd Wright
  • 1964: "My Fair Lady" premiers
  • 1975: Coast Guard Academy allows women to enroll
  • 2007: Rob Bironas scores record 26 points without a TD as Titans beat the Texans
  • 2020: Pope Francis backs same-sex civil unions
  • 2021: Alec Baldwin shoots co-worker during filming in New Mexico
  • Born: Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Alfred Nobel, George Siemens, Whitey Ford, Steve Cropper, Judith Sheindlin [Judge Judy], Benjamin Netanyahu, Carrie Fisher, Kim Kardashian, Kane Brown, Mark Thrailkill [best son ever]
  • Died: Horatio Nelson, Jack Kerouac, John Scopes, Jim Garrison [DA who investigated JFK assassination], Maxene Andrews [Andrews Sisters], George McGovern, Bud Adams, Ben Bradlee, 
Thought:
Reflecting again today on the study we just completed in Colossians and one of the verses that challenges me every day. 3:17 is a verse we all remember--Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Do you start the day with this thought in mind? Whatever I say today will be something I can say in the name of Jesus. Whatever I do today will be something I can do in the name of Jesus. Think about that. Look back to yesterday. If I eliminated from yesterday every thing I said and did that could not have the name of Jesus attached to it, what would be left? What would I have accomplished?

When we arrived at the hotel Wednesday night and checked in, the AC was not working properly and we could not get "Survivor" on the TV for Jan. Were the thoughts and attitudes running through me things I could think in the name of Jesus? Every car in Carlsbad has a loud muffler and people drive at 6:00 a.m. When I got up this morning were my thoughts those that I could attach the name of Jesus to? 

Think about what a day would look like if every thought, word and action was done in the name of Jesus--all love, all grace, all peace, all joy, all forgiveness, all patience. Would someone ask, what has gotten into you? Would someone notice a difference in you? This verse is the best summary of walking with Jesus that I know. Every thought is one Jesus would approve and allow His name to be attached to. Every word would be something He would say and every deed would look like Him. 

So I will tell myself again this morning--if you cannot say it in Jesus name--don't say it. If you can't do it in Jesus name, don't do it. And if you cannot think it in Jesus name, don't think it. What a great day it will be if all who claim the Name did that.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024