Thought for October 19

History:

  • 1512: Martin Luther becomes doctor of theology
  • 1596: 26 martyrs of Japan crucified in Nagasaki
  • 1781: Cornwallis surrenders to Washington at Yorktown
  • 1901: Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance March" premiers
  • 1917: Love Field Dallas opened
  • 1943: Streptomycin isolated--first antibiotic remedy for TB
  • 1944: Navy allows black women to join the WAVES
  • 1953: "Fahrenheit 451" published in US
  • 1971: Last "Look" magazine published
  • 1977: Concorde's first landing in NY
  • 1990: "Dances with Wolves" premiers
  • 2003: Mother Teresa beatified
  • Born: Auguste Lumiere [made first movie], Hal Wallis [producer], Robert Reed [Brady Bunch], Dave Guard [Kingston Trio], Peter Max, Jeannie C Riley, John Lithgow, Evander Holyfield, Amy Carter, Louis Oosthuizen
  • Died: 1216: King John [Magna Carta], Jonathan Swift,  George Pullman [train cars], Edna St. Vincent Millay, Elizabeth Arden, Alberto Pirelli [tires], Martha Raye, Mr. Blackwell, Tom Bosley, 
Thought: 
Still in New Mexico. Saw lots of snow at the top of Sandia Mountain yesterday.

Last Friday I completed a study of Colossians with our Friday morning men's group. A verse at the end of that book has been on my mind since then. 4:17 says "Pay attention to the ministry you have received in the Lord, so that you can accomplish it."

Here is what the Lord keeps saying to me:
  • Larry, what ministry have I given you? Have you ever really thought about that. When we study the gifts of the Spirit, we always make the point that everyone has been given gifts. And understanding what gifts and talents we have been given often leads us to a ministry. But as I read the scripture I notice that God often calls people to a ministry and that person thinks they have no gifts or talents to complete the ministry. Moses said that he could not talk before kings. Gideon was hiding when the angel called him a mighty warrior. Others say, "who am I Lord" to do that. This causes me to ask God to show me afresh the ministry to which He is calling me today. Is He calling to a place I don't think I can go? Is He calling to a work I don't think I can do? Is he calling to a ministry outside my comfort zone? 
  • Larry, pay attention. I think God is saying for me to walk through the day with my eyes and ears open for the opportunities for ministry that He will show me. Be alert and don't reject an opportunity because I am worried about my gifts and talents---God will supply all my needs.
  • Larry, your job is to accomplish the ministry. Paul writes about finishing the race, completing the course. Is there a ministry I once started and quit because I was afraid, felt unappreciated, felt unable to handle. Maybe God is asking me to go back and finish the job. Or maybe there is something right now that I have been thinking about--a mission trip, a way to serve with an organization, a need at the church. Is that the ministry God is telling me to accomplish in His strength, with His resources, for His glory? 
Jan and I are driving through New Mexico today, headed for Carlsbad Caverns. As we drive, these questions will be on my mind. Perhaps you need to think about them as well.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024