Thought for October 17

 History:

  • 79: Vesuvius erupts burying Pompeii and Herculaneum 
  • 1831: Felix Mendelssohn's First Piano Concerto premiers
  • 1904: Bank of Italy [America] opens in san Francisco
  • 1919: RCA created as subsidiary of GE
  • 1920: Chicago Bears [Decatur Staleys] play their first NFL game
  • 1931: Al Capone convicted on tax evasion
  • 1933: Einstein arrives in U as refugee
  • 1939: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington premiers
  • 1957: Albert Camus wins Nobel in Literature
  • 1957: Movie "Jailhouse Rock" premiers in Memphis
  • 1963: Beatles record "I Want to Hold Your hand"
  • 1968: "Bullitt" released
  • 1975: UN passes resolution saying Zionism is a form of racism
  • 1979: Mother Teresa wins Nobel Peace Prize
  • 1989: Earthquake cancels 3rd game of World Series in San Francisco
  • 2019: Pew Research says only 16% of US adults call themselves born-again
  • Born: Spring Byington [December Bride], [Jerry Siegel [co-creator of Superman], Arthur Miller, Rita Hayworth, Jimmy Breslin, Evel Knievel, Jim Seals [Seals & Croft], Gary Puckett [Union Gap], Bon Seagren, Margot Kidder, Alan Jackson, Ernie Els, Eminem, 
  • Died: Frederic Chopin, Julia Ward Howe, Ralph Abernathy, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Teresa Brewer
Thought:
As we flew to New Mexico on Saturday, I watched the people in the airport and on the plane. Some were smiling, anxious to get to a vacation or home. Some had the expression of hurt and loss, pain in their eyes. Some were so courteous and kind to those around them; others cursed loudly because something was wrong with their seats or they were not allowed through the TSA Pre line. And I wondered how many of these people knew the Lord; how many were secure in their eternal destiny; how many were destined for a place they could not even imagine.

Two verses came to mind. Acts 1:8--you will be My witnesses. And I wondered what the people thought as they looked at Jan and me. Did we look like people filled with joy and peace and love? Did our expressions convey a sense of perfect peace? Were our words kind and gentle? Were we His witnesses? We stopped at a Walgreens to pick up water and some things we always forget. A haggard man stood in front of the store. As we approached, he asked if I would buy him something to eat. I told him I would and he asked for orange juice, chips and beef jerky. This was a rough side of town [everything in the store was locked up and an assistant had to open the counters to allow us to buy hand lotion, shaving cream, and similar items]. I told the man to wait and I would bring the requested items out to him. When we left, he was gone. We looked all around the building and at the adjacent bus station. Gone. I wondered if I could have shared Christ with this man--but he was gone.

Ezekiel 33--we are the watchmen. Verse 6 tells us that if we see the sword of the Lord coming against the land and fail to warn the people, we are accountable. Then verse 7 tells me that when I hear a word from the Lord, I am to tell the people. Seeing the masses and recalling these verses caused me to ask for forgiveness and recommit to do better and do more to try and reach the lost. 

This week, be on the alert. God will provide an opportunity to be His witness. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024