Thought for September 6

 History:

  • 1529: Anabaptist George Blaurock is burned for heresy in Hapsburg Germany.
  • 1863: 5,000 Confederate soldiers gather to hear Chaplain John Williams Jones preach, 600 come forward for prayer and to accept Christ. 
  • 1899: Carnation processes first can of evaporated milk
  • 1901: President McKinley shot in New York
  • 1914: First Battle of the Marne begins
  • 1916: First supermarket, a Piggly Wiggly, is opened in Memphis TN
  • 1941 Nazis order all Jews over age 6 to wear yellow Star of David
  • 1975: Martina Navratilova seeks political asylum in US
  • 1984: Amadeus [movie] premiers
  • 1991: Leningrad renamed St. Petersburg
  • 1997: Funeral of Diana Spencer
  • 2012: Barack Obama accepts Democratic nomination for President
  • 2017 Hurricane Irma [185 mph] hits British Virgin Islands
  • 2018: India's Supreme Court legalizes gay sex
  • Born: Marquis de Lafayette, Joseph Kennedy, Jo Anne Worley [Laugh In], Jane Curtin, Jeff Foxworthy, Chris Christie, Idris Elba, John Wall [NBA]
  • Died: Gertrude Lawrence, Edmund Gwenn [Miracle of 34th Street], Margaret Sanger [birth control], Ernest Tubb, Tom Fogerty, Akira Kurosawa [Rashomon], Luciano Pavarotti, Burt Reynolds, Lou Brock, 
On this day in 1901, President William McKinley was shot by an assassin in Buffalo. Immediately after being shot, the President's words were "May God forgive him." The President lived until the 14th, reciting the Lord's Prayer when he was conscious. His final words were "Nearer my God to Thee."

Thought:
You may be wondering why I seem to be jumping all over the place these last few days. A few days ago, I decided to pick up my Bible and go through noting places and verses that I had marked, underlines, highlighted over the years [I am using the same Bible for 40 years]. I was curious about what I had marked and where my heart and mind were at those times past. So what you are reading are the verses, words or passages that I have marked up over the years and some reflection on those based on where my heart and mind are today. 

This morning I am still in Leviticus and noticing how many times God reminds the people on one critical fact--"I am the Lord your God." I have that language underlined 3 times in the first 5 verses of Leviticus 18 and see it a couple of more times in the first verses of chapter 19 where we are told "You shall be holy for I the Lord your God am holy.' My concordance tell me that this phrase, I am the Lord your God, occurs almost 1,000 times in the NASB. Think about that. God thought it necessary to tell us almost one thousand times that He is the Lord our God. Why? Maybe Leviticus 19 helps me understand. In 19:4 He tells us not to turn to idols or make molten gods. Why? He is the Lord our God. He tells us to honor our fathers and mothers and keep the Sabbath. [19:3] Why? He is the Lord our God. He tells us not to steal, cheat or lie. [19:11] Why? He is the Lord our God. We shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge. [19:18] Why? He is the Lord our God.You will not make tattoo marks on yourself. [19:28] Why? He is the Lord our God. 

Chapter 19 is something I think I need to read often. I need to be reminded that I am not god, the culture is not god, the government is not god. He is the Lord our God. That means He has all authority, all power, all glory, all honor. And He requires all trust and all obedience. 

Lord, you remind me again that I call you Lord and then do what I want to do. And I have not treated You as Lord God. Forgive me. Today, I want to be holy because You are holy. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024