Thought for September 29

 History: 

  • 1793: Tennis first mentioned in British sporting magazine
  • 1907: Construction of Washington National Cathedral begins. Frederick Hart designed the sculptures and his workshop and many works can be seen at Belmont
  • 1910: National Urban League founded
  • 1927: 85 die in St. Louis tornado
  • 1953: Make Room for Daddy premiers
  • 1954: Willie Mays makes over the shoulder catch in Game 1
  • 1960: My Three Sons premiers
  • 1962: Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Show premiers
  • 1962: Kennedy authorizes federal troops to integrate University of Mississippi
  • 1965: Ralph Boston sets long jump record--27' 4 3/4"
  • 1966: Camaro introduced
  • 1985: 1st death as a result of cyanide in Tylenol
  • 1990: "Millie's Book" by Barbara Bush is best seller
  • 1996: Nintendo 64 game console premiers in the US
  • 2020: First Biden/Trump debate
  • Born: Cervantes, Tintoretto, Caravaggio, Horatio Nelson, Enrico Fermi, Greer Garson, Gne Autry, Trevor Howard, Bum Phillips, Stan Berenstain [Berenstain Bears], Jerry Lee Lewis, Lech Walesa, Bryant Gumbel, Kevin Durant, 
  • Died: Rudolf Diesel, Carson McCullers, Casey Stengel, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Tony Curtis, Helen Reddy, Mac Davis, Betty Ann Olsen [Christian missionary held captive by the Viet Cong]
Thought:
I have marked 1 Samuel 15:24 in my Bible--"because I feared the people and listened to their voice." Saul has once again disobeyed God. God had told Saul to attack Amalek and kill every living thing in the city. But Saul and the people spared Agag the king of the Amalekites and the everything that was good among the sheep, oxen, lambs and other spoils of war. Then the people and Saul offered a portion of what they had not destroyed as a sacrifice to God.  Read verses 22-24 and notice:
  • Does the Lord value obedience or burnt offerings? WOW! This hits hard. I disobey God and then think I can make it up by giving a big offering, doing extra service. God says He has the cattle on 1,000 hills. He created everything and if He needs something, He doesn't ask me for it, for He can speak worlds into existence. Here, the people thought we can keep the spoils of war and bribe God with an offering. How often do I try and bribe God? What if I stole a million dollars but tithed on it to the Lord? The Lord seeks/demands our obedience. Obedience is better than sacrifice [15:22]
  • You do not understand how the Lord views rebellion and insubordination. To God, these are like consulting evil spirits or idolatry. Why? Because you have chosen another god to obey and disobeyed the one true God. I like to have a sin rating--some sins are just so much worse than others and all my sins are of the minor variety. My sins are misdemeanors while others commit felonies. But God views things differently---what sacrifice was required to atone for my minor sin? The same sacrifice required to atone for the murderer. [15:23]
  • Verse 24 hits me. We are told to fear the Lord and listen to His voice. Saul feared the people and listened to their voice. How many times does that apply to me? How often am I motivated and driven by my fear of the people or listening to their voice. How often do I seek to be conformed to the world's way--acceptance, getting along, not stirring the pot. How often do I get my counsel from the voices of the world, the self-help books, the entertainment personality, the politician. 
Lord, help me today to fear/awe You and listen to Your voice. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024