Thought for September 12

One of our readers asked for me to place the Thought in bold to make it easier for her to read. 

 History:

  • 1755: Casanova sentenced to 5 years in prison for an affront to religion and common decency
  • 1792: Court martial for Bounty crew begins at Portsmouth
  • 1928: Hurricane kills 6,000 in florida
  • 1958: Supreme Court orders Central High School in Little Rock to integrate
  • 1959: Bonanza premiers
  • 1964: Canyonlands National Park designated
  • 1970: Phyllis George named Miss America
  • 1972: Maude premiers
  • 1984: Barbara Mandrell badly injured in car wreck
  • 1992: Mae Jemison is first black American woman in space
  • 2000: Netherlands passes law allowing same-gender marriage, adoption and divorce
  • Born: Henry Hudson, Alexander Campbell [founded Disciples of Christ], Richard Gatling [Gatling Gun], HL Mencken, Jesse Owens, George Jones, Linda Gray [Sue Ellen on Dallas], Barry White, Ricky Rudd [NASCAR], Paul Walker, Jennifer Hudson, 
  • Died: Peter Mark Roget [Thesaurus], Steven Biko [died in police custody in South Africa], Anthony Perkins [Psycho], Raymond Burr, Johnny Cash, Jack Kramer [tennis], Ray Dolby [sound expert], 

Thought:
When I was in high school, I had a a saying which continues to be true 60 years later--different expectations make for bad relationships.  If Jan and I have different expectations about a project or a trip, we are likely to have a rocky spot in our relationship. If you and your employer have different expectations of your time, commitment, and production, you will likely have a bad relationship. As I read Deuteronomy 10, I understand that if God and I have different expectations, my relationship with Him will be broken. Read 10:11-13 and notice:
  • God's goal for us--that we will possess the land He promised us. [10:11]. For the children of Israel in the wilderness, this was the Promised Land of Canaan. For us, we are bound for the Promised Land of eternity with Christ in a place we call heaven. God's goal is for everyone to have the opportunity to possess the promised land--not own it, for just like the earth and everything that's in it, it belongs to God. Just possess it. 
  • What does the Lord require of us if we desire to possess the promised land?
    • Fear the Lord. Live in a constant state of awe at His power, glory, majesty, grace, mercy love. Remind myself daily, what is man that God should care about us. 
    • Walk in ALL His ways. I do not get to pick which of God's ways I want to follow--I am to walk in all His ways--in the light, in love, with patience, kindness, gentleness and self control. Humbly, thankfully, joyfully, peacefully. 
    • Love Him. My actions and attitude match my words of praise and love. And my love for Him is greater than anyone or anything else.
    • Serve Him with all our heart and soul. Yes, I serve, but I do it joyfully, enthusiastically, not hesitantly or begrudgingly or resentfully. 
    • Keep His commandments. Love God and love my neighbor. 
  • What if I mess up? Jesus met every requirement, so if I place my faith and trust in Him, God transfers the righteousness of Jesus to me and I get to enter the promised land. 
Different expectations make for bad relationships--God has told me what He expects. Reminds me of that hymn, I am satisfied with Jesus--then the question comes to me as I think of Calvary is my Master satisfied with me.

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024