Thought for August 15

 History:

  • 1534: Ignatius of Loyola co-founds Society of Jesus [Jesuits] in Montmartre France
  • 1620: Mayflower sails from Southhampton with 102 Pilgrims
  • 1824: Freed American slaves found Liberia
  • 1848" Waldo Hanchett patents the dental chair
  • 1911: Crisco shortening introduced by Proctor & Gamble
  • 1914: Panama Canal opens
  • 1939: The Wizard of Oz premiers
  • 1964: Ralph Boston sets the then long jump record--27'3.5"
  • 1969: Woodstock Festival opens
  • 1979: Apocalypse Now released
  • 2017: Genetic studies reveal that the apple originated in Kazakhstan
  • Born: Napoleon, Sir Walter Scott [Rob Roy], Edna Ferber, Julia Child, Phyllis Schlafly, Rose Marie, Oscar Peterson [jazz], Stephen Breyer, Gene Upshaw [NFL], Stieg Larsson, Melinda Gates, Debra Messing, Ben Affleck, Kerri Walsh [beach volleyball champ], Jennifer Lawrence
  • Died: Macbeth, Wiley Post, Will Rogers, Kyle Rote, 
Thought:
Reading Matthew 7:1-5 this morning. In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus has presented the Beatitudes--how to be blessed. Then He has taught us that murder and adultery and false witness are not just physical murder, the sex act, or perjury in court---rather they are crimes of the heart and mind, sins that have internal sources of hatred, envy, greed, jealousy. Then He turned to external practices intended to show how good and righteous we are--giving, praying, and fasting. Again, Jesus teaches that these are external demonstrations that should match our internal condition--right motives, God's glory, our maturing as Christians. Then Jesus gives some negative commands--do not be anxious and now do not judge.Here the command is do not judge and Jesus gives reasons why we should not judge others:
  • I will be judged by the same standard I apply to others. [7:1-2] This reminds me of His teaching on forgiveness in the Model Prayer--I am forgiven as I forgive others. Here, I am judged by the same standard that I apply in judging others. Do I judge lovingly, gently, kindly, with forgiveness? Or do I judge to put someone down and raise myself up. Do I judge by comparing others to myself so that I feel better about who I am? Jesus gave only one standard for judging--be perfect even as your Father in heaven in perfect. When I look at myself applying this standard, I am an utter failure with no reason to judge others. Take a look this morning at Romans 2:1-16. Paul says that when I judge another, I condemn myself because I am guilty of exactly the same thing. Jesus taught about murder so that I would understand that when I condemn someone for murder, I need to remember that when I hate I am guilty of murder as well. Paul reminds us that but for God's patience and kindness, we would not have the chance for repentance; so we are careful in judging others to be patient and allow for an opportunity to repent. 
  • I have enough problems of my own without pointing out the problems of others. [7:3] I often laugh about this picture that Jesus gives of the man trying to remove a speck of dust from a brother's eye while sporting a two-by-four in his own eye. Then it hits me. Sinful Larry, struggling with all manner of sin of word and deed, sins of omission and commission, sins of fear and doubt having the audacity, the gall, to comment on the sin of another. Lord, forgive me. Lead me again to Psalm 51. 
  • I need to deal with my sin before thinking I can point out someone's sin to them [7:4-5] Words like hypocrite come to mind---I am play acting like I am good, when behind the mask is the sinful Larry. Or maybe the word is "gossip"---I can't wait to tell others what I know about your sin and failures. Or perhaps the word is "critic"--I get a chance to take a shot at someone because of their failures. This causes me to ask myself, why do I criticize others? Am I grieved over their mistakes and have a Godly desire to help them? Do I love them so much I hate to see them make these mistakes? Or am I jealous and want to embarrass them, envious and want to put them down. Perhaps putting them down will lift me up in the eyes of others, so I feed my ego and pride. Maybe I just don't like them, so pointing out their faults is a way to hurt them. 
Lord, help me to love my neighbor as myself, see them as You see them, forgive them as You forgive me, and seek only their best. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024