Thought for July 12

 History:

  • 1843: Joseph Smith [LDS] says God allows polygamy
  • 1862: Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor
  • 1901: Cy Young wins his 300th game
  • 1916: Last of the shark attacks along the Jersey Shore--Jaws
  • 1954: Major League Baseball Players Association founded
  • 1957: Ike is first President to fly in a helicopter
  • 1962: Rolling Stones first performance
  • 1970: Thor Heyerdahl completes crossing of Atlantic on Ra II
  • 1976: Family Feud premiers with Richard Dawson
  • Born: Henry David Thoreau, George Eastman, Pablo Neruda, Bill Cosby,  Josiah Wedgwood [china], George Washington Carver, Louis B Mayer [MGM], Buck Minster Fuller [geodesic dome], Milton Berle, Curly Joe DeRita [3 Stooges], Andrew Wyeth, Van Cliburn, Cheryl Ladd, Kristi Yamaguchi, Inbee Park [LPGA], 
  • Died: Alexander Hamilton, Erasmus, Alfred Dreyfus,  Dolley Madison, Alexander Cartwright [inventor of modern baseball], Charles Rolls [Rolls Royce], John Chancellor [NBC], 
At the beginning of American participation in World War I, each soldier was given a pocket Bible. In the front of each Bible was a message from President Woodrow Wilson dated July 12, 1917. Wilson began his foreword with "The Bible is the word of life. I beg that you will read it and find this out for yourselves." That is why I read the Bible--it is alive, it answers all life's questions, it provides encouragement and strength, instruction and wisdom. hope and help. I hope you will read it too. 

Thought:

Moving on this morning to Jesus' return to Capernaum after His rejection at Nazareth. Take a look with me at Luke 4:31-37 [also in Mark 1:21-28]. Jesus was teaching in the synagogues on the Sabbath. Notice--He was teaching with authority, not like the scribes. This always brings a smile to my face. The people see Jesus as someone teaching with authority. Amazing--the author speaks with authority. The author knows what the author intended. The author knows what the author was trying to communicate. So Jesus teaches the scripture with authority for He is the author. Many people give me books they have read that they suggest I read. But my priority is always reading THE BOOK. Why? Because I would rather  know what the author wanted to communicate rather than what someone else thinks the author wants to tell me. And THE BOOK's author has promised me the Holy Spirit will call to my mind all the things Jesus said and did. Now, I do read some of the other books and some are excellent in providing perspective or facts, but only the author can speak for the author. 

Now as if to demonstrate His authority or to confirm the thoughts of the people about His authority, Jesus confronts a demon possessed man in the synagogue. Notice this encounter:
  • The man with the unclean spirit is in the synagogue. This reminds me that there may be people in church every week dealing with an unclean spirit--a spirit that has them captive to habits, attitudes, issues from their past. 
  • Notice what the spirit says--
    • Let us alone. Apparently more than one. And they are troubled at the presence of Christ. Reminds me of the scripture about the double minded man who is unstable in all his ways. James 1:8 tells us that if we ask claiming to have faith but doubt--don't expect to get anything from the Lord. We all know the feeling. We have done something or are thinking something we should not think or do. We get in the presence of our parents, spouse, friends, boss and we are uncomfortable. Same with Jesus, when I have unconfessed sin, I have trouble praying, reading the word, or worshipping. 
    • What have we to do with you? Reminds me that what do I, one who claims to be in Christ and Him in me, have to do with evil things. What have I to do with those things described in Galatians 5 as things of the flesh. I should have no use for those things.
    • Did you come to destroy us? Same thing the demons in the man of Gadara asked. Jesus does not answer that question verbally, but since He sent the spirit away, now was not the time. But one day, when Jesus comes again, all the demons will be thrown into the lake of fire. 
    • I know that you are the Holy One of God. Long before Peter makes his declaration that You are the Christ, these unclean spirits confess that Jesus is the Christ. 
  • Now notice the response of the people--What is this, something new? Rather than accepting what the demons said, they think this is something new. 
So today, Jesus wants to come into my life and get rid of all those things that are inconsistent with His presence--all my hidden evil thoughts, my private and pet sins. Lord, like David my prayer is cleanse me so that You alone are Master of every thought and action. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024