Thought for July 11

 History:

  • 1533: Henry the VIII excommunicated
  • 1656: First Quakers arrive in Boston, promptly jailed by the Puritans and deported 5 years later
  • 1804: Alexander Hamilton fatally wounded by Aaron Burr
  • 1892: US Patent Office rules Joseph Swan, not Thomas Edison, invented the electric light carbon
  • 1924: Eric Liddell wins the 400 meters race in the Olympics
  • 1934: FDR is first President to travel through the Panama Canal
  • 1955: Congress authorizes currency to say "In God We Trust"
  • 1960: To Kill A Mockingbird published.
  • 1967: The Newlywed Game premiers
  • 2019: Last VW Beetles produced
  • Born: Robert the Bruce, John Quincy Adams, Yul Brynner, Leon Spinks, Giorgio Armani, Bull Connor, EB White [Charlotte's Web], Ralph David Abernathy [Civil Rights], Tab Hunter,
  • Died: George Gershwin, Lawrence Olivier, Lady Bird Johnson, Oliver Plunkett [the last Catholic put to death for his faith in England, 1681]
The movie Chariots of Fire is inspiring. Eric Liddell was born in China to missionary parents. Came to Scotland to study and attended Edinburgh University. A favorite in the 100 meters for the 1924 Olympics, he refused to run because the heats were scheduled on Sunday. He won the 400 meters and got the bronze in the 200. He returned to China as a missionary, was interned by the Japanese and died in the prison camp at age 43. Back in 2020, I used his quotes as the basis for the Thought. Reread that this morning--amazing man.

Thought:

Today I am reading Luke 4 and the story of Jesus' return to Galilee and His home town of Nazareth after visiting Jerusalem and Samaria. Take a look with me at Luke 4:14-30.
  • Jesus went to the synagogue as was His custom. I am amazed when some people say they don't need organized religion. If Jesus made it a custom to go to the synagogue on the Sabbath, what do you think I should do? Jesus did not need to learn anything and He did not need to repent of anything. Why did He go? Because it was the Sabbath and it was the day to worship God and to do it with others. Gathering for worship on earth is simply preparation for worship in heaven. 
  • You may have been to a Jewish service in the synagogue. The order of worship would be something like this:
    • Sing a psalm
    • Read the Shema--Deuteronomy 6:4-9
      • There is only one God. His name is Yahweh
      • He is our God
      • You shall love God with all your soul, heart and might
      • You shall keep His words in your heart, teach them to your children, and talk about them wherever you are. WOW! Maybe I should remind myself of this command every morning.
    • Read the Shemoneh Esreh [the 18 blessings or Standing Prayer or Admimah]. You might Google the Amidah today. It contains three praises for God as Redeemer, Savior, King, Shield, Helper, Almighty, full of compassion--Holy. And then 13 petitions asking God for His wisdom, restoration, forgiveness, redemption, healing, blessings of crops, for Godly rulers, for the Messiah to come. Then finally, thanksgiving with sacrifices and a plea for Shalom--His peace. 
    • Next would be a reading of a prophet. And then commentary.
  • I said all of this to say that likely before Jesus was handed the scroll of Isaiah, the people present had just asked God for the Messiah to come--and here He is in person. And look at the passage He read--
    • I am the anointed One
    • I have good news
    • I heal broken hearts
    • I free captives
    • I allow those whose eyes are blind to see 
    • Today this prophesy is fulfilled.
  • But notice their response--we know you, you are Mary's boy, the mason's son. 
  • Now, Jesus says, my own people reject me, so it may be as in the days of Elijah and Elisha who did not go to a widow in Israel, but a widow in Sidon and did not heal a Jewish ruler but rather a Syrian. And even in His hometown, they are enraged at His claims and want to kill Him. 
Now this may sound like me. I pray for the Messiah's return, I sing songs and practice my religion, but then when He gives me a command or moves my heart, I fail to respond. Like His home town I reject His Lordship in some aspect of my life. Lord, help me submit myself totally to You and may my walk match my words today. Amen
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024