Thought for June 28

History:

  • 1776: Final draft of the Declaration of Independence submitted to the Continental Congress
  •  1846: Adolph Sax patents the saxophone
  • 1870: Congress creates the first federal holidays--Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, New Years
  • 1914: Assassination of Franz Ferdinand leading to WWI
  • 1919: Treaty of Versailles ends WWI
  • 1924: Tornado kills 93 in Sandusky Ohio
  • 1965: LBJ authorizes the first combat ground forces in Viet Nam
  • 1971: Ali's draft evasion conviction overturned by the Supreme Court
  • 2020: Global Covid deaths exceed 500,000
  • Born: Henry VIII, John Wesley, Richard Rodgers [Rodgers & Hammerstein], Mel Brooks, Junior Johnson [NASCAR], Gilda Radner, Kathy Bates, John Elway, Elon Musk, Kellie Pickler
  • Died: James Madison, Rod Serling [Twilight Zone]. Pat Summitt, Buddy Ryan
Thought:
Before we get to the healing of the nobleman's son [John's second sign], we encounter Nicodemus, probably one of the most famous conversations recorded about salvation. So this morning I am reading John 3:1-21, a passage that contains a verse we all have memorized at some point in our walk with Him. Have you ever read a book or heard the ads for a television show or movie when someone says--it is a story of life and death. Or maybe we have experienced a crisis and said this is life or death. When I think about Nicodemus I think here is where Jesus presented life or death---choose life.

As important as this story is, only John records it. Why? I don't know. The Word is given by the Holy Spirit. John is probably the last Gospel to be written and perhaps John recalls Nicodemus at the cross and that prompts him to go back to the day Nicodemus met Jesus face to face. I don't know why it is only here, but I am grateful that Jesus shares this truth with us just like He shared it with Nicodemus.

Why did Nicodemus come to Jesus at all? He was a pharisee--a "separated one." A man who had taken a vow before 3 witnesses to spend his life carefully, diligently obeying every detail of the law. Nicodemus had determined to be perfect by perfectly obeying the law--not just the 10 commandments, but all the of Levitical law, and not only that but the 613 additional rules the pharisees and scribes had created. And the Mishnah [rules derived from the law] contained 24 chapters explaining the rules for the Sabbath alone.  Nicodemus was a member of the Sanhedrin [the 70], the highest authority among the Jews. Why would this man come to Jesus---turn over and read John 7:51--"our law does not judge a man unless it first hears from him and knows what he is doing." Nicodemus was obeying the law--before I judge Jesus or condemn Him, I must hear from Him and find our what He is doing. 

What hits me this morning is this---if I really want to know Jesus, I must hear from Him. Other people can tell me what Jesus has said, I can read the Bible, but if I really want to know Jesus, I must hear from Him. Now He can speak through the Bible or through others, or through nature, but I really get to know Him when I hear Him. Lord, today, I want to hear from You. Help me be quiet and listen. Help me hear and believe. Help me trust and obey. Maybe like Nicodemus, I should come to you by night when nothing else can distract me. Or maybe in these early morning hours I can be quiet enough to hear. Lord we know You speak--help us hear. 
Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for July 19

Thought for November 23, 2023

Thought for April 5, 2024