Thought for January 2, 2024

  • 1833: Louis Aguirre makes first photograph of the moon
  • 1906: Willis Carrier receives patent for  air conditioner
  • 1921: First religious service broadcast in the U.S.--Calvary Presbyterian, Pittsburgh
  • 1935: Bruno Hauptmann trial begins
  • 1942: Japanese occupy Manila
  • 1943: Kentucky begins 129 game home winning streak in basketball--ends 1955
  • 1944: First use of helicopters in war
  • 1965: Jets sign Joe Namath
  • 1966: First Jewish child born in Spain since 1492
  • 1974: Nixon imposes 55 mph speed limit
  • Born: Isaac Asimov, Dabney Coleman, Roger Miller, Jim Bakker, Jack Hanna, Edgar Martinez, Cuba Gooding Jr., Taye Diggs
  • Died: Ovid, Guccio Gucci, Dick Powell, Tex Ritter, Alan Hale, Little Jimmy Dickens, Sabine Baring Gould [wrote the words to "Onward Christian Soldiers" as a children's marching tune, music by Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert and Sullivan; also wrote "Now the Day is Over"], Edward Perronet [wrote "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name"], Edward Caswall ["When Morning Guilds the Skies"]
I have written before about "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name." Rev. E.P. Scott was a missionary to India. He was called to evangelize a savage tribe. His friends urged him not to go. He was greeted by a large band of warrios who surrounded him and pointed their spears at his heart. Expecting to die, Scott pulled out his violin, closed his eyes and played and sang "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name." Opening his eyes, the spears were lowered and many of the warriors were crying. He preached to them for 2 years.

Thought:
As we start a new year, I am drawn back to Genesis 1:1."In the beginning, God." Think about that. In the beginning of our earth, stars, galaxies, the One who has no beginning and no end, the Alpha and Omega, was there. That is the starting point for everything in 2024---before there was time, God was there. So we enter 2024 knowing that God is here and He is with us. But I also know that as I look into the remaining 365 days of this year, God will be there. If my year ends early, He is there. If I wake here on January 1, 2025, He will be here. God is with us as we begin.

Now, what is God doing--in Genesis 1 He created. Read the rest of chapter 1. When God created, He examined His creation and He declared it to be very good [1:31]. This reminds me that every thing that God created was good until we messed it up. We can all relate to that. We are building something, planning something and everything is good until someone else gets involved--I mess up Jan's plans. I alter her plans to fit my wants; I omit some of the things she told me to do, like making a cake and leaving out some of the ingredients or adding some I think would be better. Result--bad cake. God made everything new and good. This happens in Genesis 3 when man and woman violate the only prohibition God gave them.

The remainder of the Bible is about God's plan to redeem His people and His creation. Now I'm thinking about 2024. God has a plan for me for 2024. His plan is for my good and His glory. My goal for 2024 is not to deviate from God's plan for my life. Walk daily in His light. He knows and I know that somewhere early this year, I'll step off His path thinking I know a better way. Lord, help me stay on Your path and follow Your plan. And when I mess up, may Your Holy Spirit convict me and may I respond as You have asked--if I confess my sin, You are faithful to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness. 

God has given us a fresh start. May we walk in His ways so that on December 31, He will say, "well done, good and faithful servant."

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for November 6, 2023

Thought for October 13, 2023

Thought for December 31, 2024