Thought for October 3
History:
- 42 BC: First Battle of Philippi--Mark Antony and Octavian v. Brutus and Cassius
- 1863: Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
- 1872: Bloomingdale's open in NYC
- 1899: Motor driven vacuum cleaner patented by JS Thurman
- 1904: Mary McLeod Bethune opens Daytona Normal & Industrial School [Bethune-Cookman
- 1908: Pravda newspaper founded by Leon Trotsky and others in Vienna
- 1913: Federal income tax law signed [1%]
- 1941: SS kills all elderly Jewish men in Kerenchug Ukraine
- 1941: The Maltese Falcon premiers
- 1951: Bobby Thomson hits "shot heard round the world" in the 9th inning
- 1954: "Father Knows Best" premiers
- 1960: "Andy Griffith Show" premiers
- 1961: The Dick Van Dyke Show and Mr. Ed premier
- 1963: Hurricane Flora hits Florida--5,000 die, 100,000 injured
- 1974: Watergate criminal trial begins
- 1995: OJ Simpson found not guilty of murder
- 2003: Roy Horn [Siegfried & Roy] attacked by tiger [on his birthday]
- Born: Thomas Wolfe, James Herriot [All Creatures Great and Small], Marques Haynes [Globetrotter], Ken Berry, Chubby Checker, Dave Winfield, Al Sharpton, Fred Couples, Gwen Stefani, Neve Campbell, Danny Willett
- Died: Cassius, Francis of Assisi, Myles Standish, Elias Howe [sewing machine], John Heisman, Woody Guthrie, Roddy McDowell [Planet of the Apes], Janet Leigh, Daniel Towner [wrote tunes for "Marvelous Grace of Our Loving Lord," "Years I Spent in Vanity and Pride," And "Trust and Obey"]
Yesterday marked the anniversary of the founding of the Particular Baptist Society for Propagating the Gospel among the Heathen by William Carey and others. Those present pass around Andrew Fuller's snuff box to collect contributions to send Carey to India.
You might want to read about the founding of Bethune-Cookman and Mary Bethune. She started the Institute with $1.50, made pencils from charred wood, ink from elderberries, and mattresses from moss-stuffed corn sacks. She started with 5 little girls and grew to 250 students in two years. She also founded a Hospital and Nursing School. She served on FDR's "Black Cabinet". She was a founder of the United Negro College Fund, led the US delegation for the inauguration of the first president of Liberia. In 2021 she became the first African American to represent a State in the National Statuary Hall in the Capitol. Amazing what one person can do.
Thought:
Reading some verses I have underlined in 2 Samuel 7 this morning. Here we have the Lord telling David that he will not build the temple, but David's son will. Read this chapter with me and notice:
- David recognized that he had been blessed with peace [7:1] and with a house to live in [7:2], but the ark of the covenant still was kept in the tent of meeting. [7:2] Has this thought ever occurred to you? I wake up and look around at the blessings God has showered on me--peace, health, wealth, stuff, family, friends, career. Then I think about what I have done for the Lord and His worship, His mission, His kingdom. I think David had an "aha" moment. So David decides to build a suitable Temple for the ark.
- Nathan the prophet tells David to do whatever is in his mind. [7:3] Now, Nathan was a faithful prophet, but notice that neither David nor Nathan consults the Lord to determine what the Lord wants. Sound familiar. I have the "aha" moment and realize that I have not done all I could or should for the Lord. BUT then I decide what the Lord needs. And I tell my friends and they affirm that I should do whatever was in my mind. But my thoughts are not His thoughts and my ways are not His ways--so I miss the mark.
- God intervenes. Notice that God first goes to His prophet Nathan and tells Nathan.
- Nathan, should you be advising David to do what's in his mind or what I desire?
- Ask David to examine himself and determine if he is the one to build a house for the Lord. Wow! What a reminder. Larry you may have an "aha" moment, but that does not mean you know who, when, and how the Lord wants to accomplish that. Examine yourself and talk to God.
Lord today, teach me again to be constantly aware of Your blessings--I did not earn them, do not deserve them, have no right to them, except in and through Your grace. Remind me that You may reveal something to me, but that does not mean You want me to proceed without consulting You and examining myself--my motives, my sin, my weakness. I am amazed how God may give one person the vision of what should be done, but call others to plan and perfect the idea. Reminds me again that His kingdom has many parts and each of us should do those to which He has called us. Some plant, some water, some prune, some reap--all celebrate!
Blessings
Larry
Comments
Post a Comment