Thought for September 2

 History:

  • 31 BC: Battle of Actium--Octavian defeats Cleopatra and Mark Antony
  • 1666: Great Fire of London begins
  • 1752: Great Britain and its colonies adopt the Gregorian calendar--skip 11 days so tomorrow is September 14
  • 1789: US Treasury Department founded
  • 1864: Sherman captures and burns Atlanta
  • 1898: Machine gun first used in battle
  • 1901: Teddy Roosevelt says "speak softly and carry a big stick"
  • 1919: Communist Party of America organizes
  • 1935: Labor Day hurricane hits Florida killing 423
  • 1940: Great Smokey Mountains NP dedicated
  • 1944: George HW Bush bails from a burning plane in the Pacific
  • 1945: V-J Day
  • 1960: Wilma Rudolph wins Olympic Gold in 100 meters
  • 1974: ERISA signed into law--we called it "Every Rotten Idea Since Adam"
  • 2021: 43 die as Hurricane Ida hits northeast
  • Born: AG Spalding [HOF pitcher and founder of Spalding sporting goods], Adolph Rupp, Peter Ueberroth, John Thompson [coach], Terry Bradshaw, Mark Harmon, Jimmy Connors, Eric Dickerson, Keanu Reeves, Salma Hayek, 
  • Died:Pheidippides [ran from Marathon to Athens to report Greek victory], Alvin York, Ho Chi Minh, JRR Tolkien, Christiaan Barnard [1st heart transplant], Troy Donahue, Bob Denver, 
Thought:
Reading Exodus 3 this morning, story of the burning bush. Another story we all know well. Here is what I am hearing this morning:
  • God sees--God tells Moses I have seen the affliction of my people. I really need to hear that somedays. I begin to ask, does God see what's going on in the world. Does God understand what I am dealing with--illness, pain, family, job, doubt, fear, temptation. Does God see me? YES, God sees everything and understands everything. We sing, "He knows my name, He knows my every thought, He sees each tear that falls and hears me when I call." 
  • God hears---The cries of the people have been heard by God. I need to know that. My prayers don't stop at the ceiling. God hears our prayers, He knows our hearts. 
  • God comes down to us---In 3:8, God says He has come to deliver us. What a blessing! The God of the universe comes down to us--He came in the person of Jesus and now lives in every believer in the person of the Holy Spirit. As Jesus said, He gave us another Helper, a Comforter, a Guide, a Teacher, someone to remind us and help us remember all that Jesus said and promised. And one day, Jesus Himself will come down to gather His own. 
  • God sends us---Just like He sent Moses to lead His people from slavery in Egypt, He sends us to share the Good News and lead people from slavery to sin to freedom in Jesus. 
If those things are true, what's my problem? I don't like God's timing. When He sees and hears, He should do what I want when I want Him to. But if that is what happens, I am god and not Him. Lord, help me trust Your timing. I don't like God's solution or answer---I wanted to avoid the fire, be lifted from the mire, avoid the pain, avoid the tough decision---but He walks with me in the fire, holds my hand in the dark and dreary, sustains me through the pain, gives wisdom for the tough decision. Lord, teach me and give me the faith to trust Your timing, Your purpose and Your plan. I make excuses like Moses--who am I? Wrong question Larry. The question is not about you and your ability, the question is who is sending you--God. so go in His power, His strength His love, His grace. He is always sufficient!

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for November 6, 2023

Thought for October 13, 2023

Thought for December 31, 2024