Thought for August 3

 History:

  • 1492: Christopher Columbus begins his voyage - Santa Maria, Pinta, Nina
  • 1829: Rossini's William Tell opera premiers
  • 1900: Firestone founded
  • 1936: Jesse Owens wins Olympic Gold in Berlin
  • 1943: Patton slaps a private
  • 1963: Allan Sherman releases "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh"
  • 1971: McCartney announces formation of Wings
  • 1975: Superdome dedicated
  • 1977: Radio Shack introduces TRS-80
  • 1984: Mary Lou Retton is first American woman to win Olympic medal in gymnastics
  • 2012: Michael Phelps wins his 17th Olympic Gold Medal
  • 2019: 22 killed and 24 injured at Walmart in El Paso
  • Born: Elisha Otis [elevator], Ernie Pyle, John Scopes, John Stennis, Tony Bennett, Martin Sheen, Martha Stewart, John Landis [Animal House], Tom Brady, Ryan Lochte [swimmer], 
  • Died: Joseph Conrad, Lenny Bruce, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Bubba Smith, 
Thought:
Reading Matthew 5:33-37 this morning. Here Jesus addresses false vows, perhaps expanding on the commandment to not bear false witness. What were the problems that Jesus is addressing?
  • Evasive swearing. People were making oaths but carefully wording them so as to make them void. For example,  under the many "rules" added by the scribes and Pharisees to interpret the Law, if I swore by the gold on the Temple altar, that oath was binding; however, if I swore by the altar itself, it was not binding. So I was using the appearance of an oath to deceive. Look at Matthew 23:16--similarly, swearing by the Temple is not binding, but swearing by the gold on the Temple is binding. AS children, we would say I promised but I had my fingers crossed. Today, we might think of the small print on warranties and guarantees. We are told "we stand behind our product" or "return it with no questions asked." But then you read the small print and the conditions or the hoops you have to jump through make the warranty or promise worthless. So Jesus says, just say yes or no. Don't add anything to that. Then do what you agreed to do or refrain from doing that which you said you would not do. 
  • Frivolous oaths. Oaths added to a promise to give it the appearance of more sincerity or weight. Again, as children we would say, "cross your heart and hope to die." Or maybe "on my Mother's grave." Jesus says, you shouldn't have to add anything to your yes or no. I think the greatest compliment I ever received as a lawyer was from Federal Judge Tom Higgins. I was called as a witness if Judge Higgins court. When the clerk got up to administer the oath, Judge Higgins said, "you do not have to administer the oath to Mr. Thrailkill. I know he will tell me the truth." 
This week, I want my word to be the truth without needing an oath to support it. And I want my word to be clear and simple---Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life." If I want to be like Jesus, I must be a person of truth. 

Blessings
Larry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for November 6, 2023

Thought for October 13, 2023

Thought for December 31, 2024