Thought for August 2
History:
- 1610: Henry Hudson enters Hudson Bay
- 1776: Formal signing of Declaration of Independence
- 1865: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland published
- 1934: Hitler becomes commander-in-chief of German armed forces
- 1943: PT-109 sinks
- 1945: Indianapolis survivors spotted
- 1945: Potsdam Conference
- 1967: In the Heat of the Night premiers
- 1973: American Graffiti premiers
- Born: Pierre L'Enfant, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi [Statue of Liberty], Myrna Loy, James Baldwin [Go Tell It on the Mountain], Peter O'Toole, Lamar Hunt [ KC Chiefs], Billy Cannon, Wes Craven, Victoria Jackson, Linda Fratianne,
- Died: Thomas Gainsborough [Blue Boy], Horace Mann [public schools], Wild Bill Hickok, Enrico Caruso, Alexander Graham Bell, Warren G Harding, Thurman Munson, Shari Lewis [Lamb Chop],
Thought:
Yesterday I read that I can murder by ignoring, mistreating, gossiping, starting rumors or passing them on. I can murder by thinking about killing and allowing my anger to turn to rage and rage to evil thoughts. Today, Jesus turns to another commandment--Thou shalt not commit adultery. [Matthew 5:27-32]
Under the Law, sex with another man's wife was a property crime against the husband. Seduction of a single woman or the wife of a non-Jew was not considered adultery. Notice how Jesus expands the teaching--EVERYONE [not just Jew or Gentile] who looks on a woman [notice it does not say another man's wife] to lust for her has committed adultery in his heart. So now all of us who have always claimed to be faithful to our spouses have to examine our hearts in light of Jesus teaching---have I ever looked at a woman with lust in my heart? Ladies, have you ever looked at a man with lust in your heart?
Take a look at these passages today:
- James 1:14-15: Temptation comes from my own lust. That means I cannot blame what she is wearing. that means I can't blame the way she teases me. The temptation comes from my lust which leads to sin. I start imagining things, looking for opportunities, lying to myself about my intentions--it's all in good fun. Sin brings forth death--spiritually, emotionally. It kills a marriage, it kills a family, it destroys a career, it kills a witness.
- 1 John 2:16: The lust of the eyes--I see if and it is good to look at. The lust of the flesh--it would taste or feel good. The pride of life---I deserve it.
- What do I do?
- 1 Corinthians 6:18--flee fornication. Fornication seems to be an external sin, but it is internal. Do not hang around when the eyes initiate temptation. Leave, run, avoid, escape. Don't think I can handle this. Bill Wilson, former pastor at Brentwood Baptist would tell the high schoolers--if you wait till late Saturday night in the backseat of a 57 Chevy to decide on your moral position, you will fail. Avoid it.
- 2 Timothy 2:22--Flee youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace. Timothy says, don't just flee from temptation, but pursue righteousness. I need to fight the lust with truth, the truth of the word.
- Follow the example of Joseph--running from Potiphar's wife; not the example of David, calling for Bathsheba.
Jesus reminds us that this is serious--if your eye is causing you to be tempted to commit adultery in your heart, get rid of it. If you cannot control your hands, cut them off. Now I don't think Jesus is calling for self-mutilation, but He is trying to communicate how serious these sins are and the drastic steps one should take to avoid these temptations.
Lord, forgive us for all those times when we have allowed our hearts and minds to dwell on unclean things. Help us, Lord, to flee from evil and overcome in the power of Your Holy Spirit.
Blessings
Larry
Comments
Post a Comment